This basic pasta sauce goes well with all types of pasta, and it’s really quick to make, too. Feel free to add any ingredients you fancy, but this basic sauce is lovely and flavourful as it is.
- 1 onion
- 3 large beef tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of salt, pepper, and sugar
- Finely chop the onion. Heat the olive oil up in a frying pan, and then add the onion. Fry the onion for a couple of minutes until it begins to get translucent.
- Mince the garlic and then add it to the onions. Continue frying.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, discarding any stalky bits. Add the tomatoes to the onions and cook them gently until they begin to break down and thicken.
- Add the tomato puree and the seasonings, and simmer the sauce for about 15 minutes – until thick and rich. You can then leave the sauce as it is, or you can blend it a little bit for a smoother sauce.
- Serve tossed with spaghetti.